I finially got together the tutorial for how I made my lighted Vessel of Judgement. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any about it. Enjoy!
Welcome to FigurePainters.com where we make your hobby dreams come true! I provide high quality painting for miniatures games of all types, from Warhammer 40k to Warmachine/Hordes and anything in between. I have been painting since about 1995 and I am active in the hobby aspect of the games too.
Please take a look around and feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Entries in menoth (9)
It is finally finished! It took all week and like 60 hours but it is all done. I will still have to rework the wiring so it is all self contained so I can play with it. Right now I am hiding 6 C cell batteries in the base so I can keep it lit for pretty much a whole weekend.
Here is a video of it and some pics. You can see all the pics at the end of the Menoth Galleries.
So I spent this a day weekend casting up a whole bunch of stuff for ext years Bay Area Open Tournament. And while I was at I worked on the casting for my Menoth battle engine. The purpose of casting up a clear base is to I can light the flames up like the inside of the battle engine and I will just paint over what ever parts I don't want light showing through.
I don't have pics for the first few steps but I can at least describe them. First off it got glued down to the wood and then wrapped some plasticard around it to build it up the dam for the mould. After spraying it down with release the rubber was mixed up and brushed onto the flames to make sure all the cracks were covered. Then I poured the rest in.
Once that had set up (about a day) I poured plaster into the rest of the mold to act as a leveler when it was flipped over.
Here you can see the mold once the plaster had dried.
Once that was all dry here is it after the dam was taken off.
After that the rubber got peeled off.
Next up was pouring the clear resin in. After mixing it in a plastic cup it got degassed in a vacuum chamber then poured some into the flames. This then went into the degasser to get all the air out of the flames.
After that I filled the rest up with clear resin and put a sheet of plexie over the top and let it sit to cure. I used a light to medium amount of hardener to it will take a day or two to cure up. So hopefully by the end of the week I will have something to show.
Well I took it out of the mold and it is stuck to the plexi! So I am going to let it sit a few days and see if it will pop off. I poured another one, used more hardener than last time and put another mold on top of it so it will come off easily this time.
I finnally got some LEDs for my battle engine. My first experiment with cheap xmas LEDs did not work out as planned so I found something even better! Here are 2 quick videos of it. Nevermind the crap in the background, I had to take it into the bathroom for it to be dark enough to see :)
So I decided I wanted to make my Menoth Battle Engine light up. I started carving out the insides to make some room for 3 batteries and some lights. So far not to much damage to the figure. Just hope I can keep it that way :)